Sunday, May 23, 2010

It's a lovely day. Sure, the sun may not be shining and the temperature may not exactly inspire one into shorts and a tank top, but I love the rain and I love long weekends and I'm very much enjoying myself. We didn't go away for the weekend. I wish we'd been able to, but we've got a cabin weekend coming up and that's more than good enough for me.

We went to the bookstore and I bought Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I read about a book a week, but the book I started yesterday is pretty short and I'm going to be done it in a couple of days, and then I will have had nothing to read, as my bookclub book is not due for another couple of weeks. I don't know what I'd do if I had nothing to read. TV bores me most of the time and doesn't often hold my attention, and though I still have baby birthday party invitations to put together, I can't count on that to eat a lot of time.

The last book I finished was a book about the Bronte sisters, specifically Charlotte, called Romancing Miss Bronte (Juliet Gael). It is a work of fiction, though largely based upon letters of the time. It was unexpectedly excellent and I recommend it to anyone with an inclination toward those classics. I've read both Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights (though admittedly no other Bronte novels) and found myself inspired to read them again, so moved was I by Juliet Gael's novel.

I read almost constantly as a child, devouring books even more quickly than I do now (I had a lot more time then) but then hit a bit of a dry spot after moving out of my parents's house and into my first condo. I still read some, but life was busy and god knows I worked a lot. Then, tired of roommates, I moved into my second condo and read almost never. Reading turned into an activity I did at work, between calls. The book that actually pulled me out was Watership Down. I'd seen the movie as a child, but never expected such a moving, grown-up novel. Apparently many people read it in high school, but I was in IB English and we read things like Becket and MacBeth and I never got to read it.

I really got back into reading a couple of months after my daughter was born (she was colicky for the first nine weeks of her life and there was no time for anything, period) and haven't stopped since. I think I'm having some success in passing my love of reading on to her; when confronted with a pile of toys, she heads straight for the books. She chews on them, but at least it's a first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment