Saturday, March 27, 2010

I've found myself in the unusual position of having only one pair of earrings to my name, which isn't really distressing in the traditional sense, but when one has very very little to worry about, as I myself do, it's as good a reason as any to become distressed. So, being somewhat crafty and having a great liking for a project, I bought myself an earring-making kit at Walmart today, which includes all the makings for eight pairs of earrings, all of which I was rather fond of when I picked up the box. After my daughter was put down to sleep and my bath was had, I decided I should go at it right away, before my interest wanes. The back of the package indicates that one needs needlenose pliers, wire cutters and round nose pliers to complete this project. I have the first two, so I figured I could just do without the round nose pliers (I have a bad habit of just winging it) so I started on the first (easiest) pair and ta-da! Earrings. Ok, yes, there were only four pieces to put together and it was really really easy, but still I'm proud of myself. High on my first success, I decided to tackle a second set! It's so easy! I gathered the materials needed for the pair I was most attracted to and was disappointed to find that the poor quality of the product meant that it wasn't made in a way that it would actually hold together (the whole set was $5 so I'm not really going to complain about one faulty pair) so I had to ditch that set. Disappointing, but there are still six other pairs, right? Further inspection told me that all six required round nose pliers. Some trial and error told me that I cannot just wing it.

So, it was a good effort, but I crashed and burned. Maybe I should dig out Seville's scrapbook while I'm at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment