Friday, March 26, 2010

I didn't get around to taking any pictures today so I guess I have to write something.

Which would you rather have: freedom or comfort?

It's turning into spring, which has almost always been my favorite time of year. I love the smell of snow melting and the fresh green new life springing up around me everywhere. However, spring makes me restless. It makes me want to sell my house and move away. It always has. I wonder if I'll feel the same this spring, or if I'll continue nesting far into the summer, til I have to go back to work and everything will be forced to change.

On the other hand, I've been thinking a lot recently about the possibility of going back to school and getting a real career. It's something I've thought about a lot, on and off, for the past four or five years. I'd like to have a job where I'm not constantly monitored and rated and judged and picked apart. It's painful and humiliating and stressful. But it's been a constant in my life for nearly seven years. So which do I choose? Cold comfort, or change?

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th’ oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th’ unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?


- Hamlet

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.


- Macbeth

Ok, so they're not my words. I'm sure you understand how I feel though.

No comments:

Post a Comment