Thursday, November 18, 2010

I'm the queen of getting all worked up over stupid letters to the editor. I have to restrain myself against writing in to tell people every time they are wrong, wrong, wrong. I've been this way pretty well as long as I can remember, but it really flares up when I read the paper more consistently.

Take this for example. Now, this bears so explanation, if you're not a Strathcona County resident. Sherwood Park has several tiny traffic circles in residential areas, but only 1 main one, refered to frequently as "the traffic circle". It's a bit unusual. It has only 3 exits, which seems to cause a whole slew of confusion. Because of it's odd shape and few exits, two of those exits are straight through. That doesn't really make it any less of a traffic circle, but for some reason, several people seem to think that suddenly regular traffic circle rules don't apply, or, in the case of Bertha McLaughlin, the outside lanes are not part of the traffic circle.

Of course, that's absurd. Bertha McLaughlin is a self-righteous idiot. If you read the letter I referenced, you'll see that she doesn't like "young" drivers (she's "questioned" them on their driving skills, since she's such an authority, despite publicly proving that she doesn't know how to navigate a traffic circle) and thus has anecdotal evidence that "young" drivers are far worse than people of a, I don't know, greater age. (Note: I say "young" drivers because I fully believe this to be all perception - I'm 28, despite the fact that people usually peg me for 21 or 22).

I read that letter when the paper was delivered to my house a couple of weeks ago and truly meant to respond, but, like many things, I didn't get around to it. Luckily, someone else did. Beth Blackstock said exactly what I would have, and she was tactful! I'm not sure how heavily her letter was edited by the editor, but I applaud her! Ms McLaughlin should have felt like a tool, but instead she responded and proved herself to be a tool. "The lanes I referred to were outside the traffic circle, not inside and I do not have to brush up as I know traffic circles rules quite well." Have you ever observed such a contradiction???

Ms Blackstock wrote back and was again dignified and tactful. It's way too late for me to jump in to this discussion, and I doubt the newspaper will let it go any further, but I just want to say something Beth Blackstock was too mature to say. Bertha McLaughlin - you are an idiot. You made up your own rule as far as the traffic circle goes, and you are now treating everyone else like they are stupid for not following your absurd rule. You whine that drivers stop "without warning" in free flow lanes and you have to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting them. Brake lights should give you sufficient warning. Look where you're driving, or don't drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment